Monday, September 20, 2010

Beth's 10Ks

One of my goals now that I've been feeling healthier and more energetic was to get back to running. I used to love the feeling after going for a nice long run, and it was such an easy way to stay in shape wherever we were: the only equipment required was a good pair of shoes!! My flexible work schedule over the summer also allowed me to take some time over lunch-hours to go for a quick 5-7km run, and our vacation schedule this summer was also great for fitting in runs.

To keep myself motivated, I registered for two organized 10km "races" in September: one in Canmore (Sept 12th) and one in Calgary (Sept 19th). Both were supporting good causes, and promised nice routes with beautiful views. I was super excited during the first race to realize that I was actually exceeding my goal time of 1 hr, and by pushing myself to the finish, I ended up with a time of 54:39 (placing 28th out of 163 women in my age group)!! By the second race, I wasn't sure if I would be able to beat that time, but ended up with just over 53 minutes (no official chip times were taken). I was very pleased with both of these results, and hope to continue running until the weather cools down.

http://www.raceheadquarters.com/results/2010/run/RockyMountain201010kAG.html

ABOVE: Running in the rain in Bowness Park--Sept 19th Allies for Autism race...


BELOW: Crossing the bridge (and handing off my jacket!) in Canmore: Sept 12th CAUSE Canada race.

No comments: